The first ancient coins came from an area of Asia Minor which is today known as Turkey and were made of electrum, a naturally occurring mixture of silver and gold. This area is regarded as the birthplace of coinage and the first to use coined money in trade. The area included ancient kingdoms and cities of Ionia and Lydia.
Greek colonists, predominantly from Athens and Attica, settled the coastline of Asia Minor from the Mediterranean up to the Black Sea. Later Alexander overthrew the entire Achaemenid Empire, conquering a territory all the way to India. For a brief period the Macedonian Empire and the Greek influence was the most powerful in the world. Coins from this era are some of the most aesthetically pleasing and beloved designs in all of human history especially given the primitive methods they were manufactured.
- Mysia Winged Boar Electrum Stater NGC Fine 4x4The first coinage in human history was struck from electrum, a naturallly occurring mixture of gold and silver. This large, electrum full stater saw circulation around 2,500 years ago and remains today as testament to the earliest money ever used by humans. While designs vary, this example has a 4-way punch on the reverse with a winged-boar on the obverse with a tuna fish (tunny) underneath. Coin shown is the exact coin you will receive. Learn More$5,440.00
- Antiochus VII Silver Tetradrachm NGC CHAUStruck nearly 2,200 years ago, these large and intricate silver tetradrachms struck by Antiochus VII have remarkable detail and history. Besides the obvious historic importance, these coins are hand-struck in high-relief and no two coins are exactly alike. They are excellent examples of Hellenistic art. Certified by NGC in About Uncirculated condition, they are remarkable ancient silver coins, indeed. The obverse depicts Antiochus VII facing right, similar to the tetradrachms of Alexander the Great. The reverse has a standing figure surrounded by various implements and markings. We feel that attractive, high-end ancient silver offers a great value in the current marketplace and these are absolutely stunning in all regards. Highly recommended while available. Learn MoreNow Only $895.00 Regular Price $931.50
- Authentic 2,450 Year-Old Athenian Owl in BezelIf you're looking for a unique and interesting gift for someone special, it's hard to beat the beauty of this ancient coin jewelry offering. This amazing and authentic silver necklace contains an ancient 2,450 year old Athenian Silver Owl held securely in a silver bezel and accompanied by a beautiful silver rope chain. The silver owl is one of the most impressive and popular of all ancient silver coins and this offering is a remarkable gift with unforgettable quality. Learn More$1,350.00
- Mithradates VI Gold Stater NGC MS 4x4Mint condition example of a gold stater issued during the rule of Mithridates VI. These gold staters are typically found very worn, however, this particular example has been preserved in a remarkable condition. Mithridates was a sworn enemy of Rome. Coin shown is the exact coin you will receive. Learn MoreNow Only $2,850.00 Regular Price $3,069.00
- Alexander The Great Silver Drachm NGC XFStruck over 2,300 years ago, the silver drachms of Alexander the Great tell a story that can be heard to this very day. Alexander the Great is known to be one of the most revered generals and rulers in the history of the world and his coinage remains as testament to this fact. The obverse of each coin depicts a Hercules with a lion-head helmet. The reverse shows Zeus, perched on a throne holding an eagle in one hand and a scepter in the other. Learn More$239.25Out of stock
- Actaeon/Gorgon Electrum 1/6 Stater NGC XF 4x5"Electrum" is what coins were made of starting around 650 B.C. It is a naturally occurring mixture of gold and silver and could be found in and around streams and riverbeds and the coins were issued in different sizes to reflect different values. These absolutely amazing coins are desirable by so many types of collectors because of their age, high-quality and different designs. This 1/6th stater or "Hecte" depicts the head of a Gorgon, or "Actaeon", with an incuse punch on the back. If you're looking for an amazing piece of history and a truly rare artifact to put away for a while, this is a tough item to beat. We love the value found in this early coinage. As a collectible, gift or investment, electrum coins from 2,500 years ago are a superb opportunity at these levels, particularly when certified by NGC Ancients in such a high grade. The coin shown is the exact coin you will receive--we have other designs available too...check our electrum page or call 1-800-928-6468 with questions. Learn More$1,215.00Out of stock
- Alexander The Great Silver Tetradrachm NGC AU 5X3 Fine StyleStruck over 2,300 years ago, the silver tetradrachms of Alexander the Great tell a story that can be heard to this very day. Alexander the Great is known to be one of the most revered generals and rulers in the history of the world and his coinage remains as testament to this fact. The obverse of each coin depicts a Hercules with a lion-head helmet. The reverse shows Zeus, perched on a throne holding an eagle in one hand and a scepter in the other. Tetradrachms of Alexander the Great are very popular and are ranked as #20 out of the 100 Greatest Ancient coins. Learn More$1,430.00Out of stock
- Athens Silver Owl Tetradrachm NGC Mint State Star 5x5Ranked as #10 out of the 100 Greatest Ancient Coins, the 2,450-year-old Athenian Silver Owl is an impressive ancient coin with a remarkable history. The Owl could be found in every marketplace in the Mediterranean and beyond back then, and today they survive as a testament to the glory of the city of Athens. Until our Buying Trust acquired this most recent group, owls of this quality brought double what we're asking for them today. We believe once these are absorbed by the marketplace, prices will quickly recover to normal (higher) levels. This particular owl has an enormous amount of character and eye appeal, along with the coveted Star designation. Great coin for the money. Learn MoreNow Only $2,995.00 Regular Price $3,156.48Out of stock
- Perseus Silver Tetradrachm NGC MS 5X4This is the finest grade given for this issue by NGC Ancients and it is a truly rare and impressive coin for the price. Perseus was the last true emperor of Macedon and his coinage was large and impressive, particularly his silver Tetradrachms. We love the look and value of these 2,200 year old coins and the coin shown is the one you will receive. Highly recommended for the money. Learn MoreNow Only $6,450.00 Regular Price $6,534.00Out of stock